At Wellbeing Hypnotherapy we have extensive experience in working with people who have witnessed or experienced Domestic violence or being stalked. If you have suffered domestic violence or have been stalked – either as a child, in adult life or both, we can help you to overcome this. Your therapy is completely confidential and you are guaranteed professional, experienced and trusted help. You can come to terms with and process your experience and stop it having a negative effect on the rest of your life.
Men can be victims of Domestic Violence and Stalking and it can occur in Gay and Lesbian relationships.
Information about domestic violence:
1-in-4 women will experience domestic violence in their life and 1,300 calls of domestic violence are made to the police every day, Tonight Program, 09/02/09.
Domestic violence can affect anyone. It usually occurs between two people who are currently in a relationship or have been in a relationship in the past. It is usually men being abusive to women, and sometimes other family members can be involved. But men can experience domestic abuse from their partners and it also happens in same sex relationships. Because men or same sex couples are less likely to report domestic violence, there is little data on this. Domestic violence can include physical, sexual and emotional abuse.
Domestic violence is a hidden crime, victims may feel:
- Fearful of their partner and be too scared to try to leave,
- Love for their partner and may not want them to be criticized or punished,
- Powerless or lacking in confidence,
- Ashamed of the situation and may not want family or friends to know,
- Guilty that they are to blame to some extent,
- Tired, depressed and emotionally or financially dependent on the abuser,
- Unable to show your children all the attention or care you would like to give them.
Children who have witnessed or experienced domestic violence are often:
- Afraid, anxious and/or depressed,
- Withdrawn, guilty and/or insecure,
- Angry, alone and/or frightened,
- Lacking confidence,
- Suffering from health and/or sleeping problems,
- Struggling at school,
- Ashamed to bring friends home,
- Physically hurt or abused.
According to the Home Office: Worldwide, more people die each year of domestic physical abuse than of cancer, wars or traffic accidents. People who have decided to leave the relationship are particularly at risk and should seek professional support.
Have a positive future by overcoming your past
Adrian Sonnex is a qualified Clinical Hypnotherapist and Trauma Specialist. Using Hypnotherapy, Traumatic Incident Reduction, Stress Management (Life Stress Reduction), Mindfulness-based Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and other therapeutic techniques, to enable you to overcome your past and live a happy positive future.