Stress Management: It’s Time to Take Control of Your Stress.
A survey carried out by the Health and Safety Executive indicated that over half a million individuals in Britain believed that they were experiencing work-related stress at a level that was making them ill. The Stress and Health at Work Study (SHAW), indicated that nearly 1 in 5 of all working individuals thought their job was very or extremely stressful. It is estimated that work related stress, depression or anxiety accounts for an estimated thirteen and a half million reported lost working days per year in Britain.
Are you Stressed?
Every person responds differently to stress, some may experience anxiety, panic attacks, aggressive behaviour, while others find it affects their digestive system or makes them feel tired, feeling very run down and biting nails which can become a habit.
Look back at your life over the last few weeks/months, then look through the list below, if you find that you have been suffering from Several of these symptoms on a Frequent Basis, then it is highly likely that you are suffering from Stress.
- Sudden feelings of fear or panic
- Feeling tense or wound up
- Waking early in the morning
- Feeling edgy or bad tempered
- Upset stomach, constipation/diarrhoea
- Poor concentration
- Constantly feeling tired/exhausted
- Fearing you are losing control
- Tightness in neck, shoulders or back
- Palpitations or butterflies in stomach
- Headaches or migraines
- Feelings of being under pressure
- Feeling very emotional
- Feeling distant, dizzy or unreal/remote
- Lack of interest
- Difficulty sleeping
- Irregular eating patterns
- Smoke or drink to excess
- Poor memory
- Feel apathetic
- Feel shortness of breath
- Avoid difficult situations
- No confidence
- Pessimistic regarding the future
- Aches and pains more than usual
- Feel physically run down
- Worry about the future
- Feelings of inability to cope
- Biting Nails
Long term symptoms can include:
- Heart problems – Ulcers
- Strokes – Cancers
- Complete breakdown – Death
Please note: If you do suffer from any of the above symptoms, please get them checked out by your GP straight away.
When you are stressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own interpretation of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any time.